The Tennessee Historical Commission is accepting grant applications for historic preservation projects for the 2008-2009 fiscal year. The grants, which are federally funded, will be available after Oct. 1, 2008.
The precise amount of funds available in Tennessee will not be known until Congress has passed the FY 2008-2009 budget. However, it is anticipated to be approximately $400,000. After review, applications will be rated and ranked. Funding decisions will be made when the exact amount of the federal allocation is known. This normally occurs by December but could be as late as spring 2009.
The selection process will emphasize projects conducting architectural, archaeological and historic site surveys. Such projects are designed to identify and to record historic districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects built before 1950 that are significant to Tennessee's history. Surveys may be for a specific geographic area or for sites associated with themes or events significant in the state's history, such as the development of railroads in the 19th century. Priorities for funding survey projects will include areas that are experiencing rapid growth and development or other threats to cultural resources, areas where there are serious gaps in knowledge regarding cultural resources and thematic surveys based upon existing historic study units produced by the State Historic Preservation Office.
There is also assistance available for other types of historic preservation projects. These may include preservation planning studies for towns, neighborhoods and historic districts; the preparation of nominations to the National Register of Historic Places; planning or pre-development work necessary to undertake restoration of an historic property; and restoration of historic properties. (For restoration or restoration pre-planning, properties must be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.) Applications for projects to prepare nominations to the National Register of Historic Places are a priority and are especially encouraged.
The grants will pay for up to 60 percent of the costs of approved project work. The grant recipient must provide the remaining 40 percent of the costs as matching funds.... read the rest of the story by Subscribing now.