A Sevier County girl, Haley Ham, lost her two best friends– her dogs, Sam and Jessie– less than one year ago. They were poisoned by antifreeze.
Antifreeze has a taste that appeals to pets, farm animals, wildlife, and humans (especially children), but it causes death when ingested. For a cost of approximately three cents per gallon of antifreeze, the most bitter-tasting chemical known, denatonium benzoate, can be added to antifreeze. This simple manufacturing step would make the taste of antifreeze so bitter that it would not be ingested and antifreeze poisoning would stop.
On January 2, Leighann McCollum, Tennessee director of The Humane Society, met with State Senator Raymond Finney, who represents Sevier County, and Haley at the Sevier County Courthouse. Senator Finney has written and introduced a bill, SB2399, which would make antifreeze a much safer product, if enacted. Senator Finney states: "I am impressed by and proud of Haley. She has used her grief over the loss of her beloved dogs to work with determination seldom seen in adults or children to try to make certain that other deaths from antifreeze poisoning will not occur. The Humane Society and I are working hard to pass this bill this year."... read the rest of the story by Subscribing now.