Friday, June 30, 2006
Steve Forbert will be in concert at the Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts Auditorium, Gatlinburg. This is the second in the inaugural series “Inspired by Appalachia.” Tickets are on sale for $15 at the door or by phone at 865-436-5860.
- Arrowmont’s Artists in Residence will be demonstrating their talents at the Arrowmont Plaza, located on the Parkway in Gatlinburg. Visitors will be able to observe the artists working with the potter’s wheel, woodturning, life drawing, raising and forming metal, knotting, weaving, knitting, and printmaking. The free demonstrations will take place 12p.m. to 7p.m.
– Exploring Cades Cove for Junior Rangers is going on during the summer. Bring the family for hands on exploration of the Cove. Starts at 2:30 and lasts 30 minutes. Meet at the Cades Cove Visitors Center, halfway around the loop. Part of the Junior Ranger Program. Also meets Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays.
- New Market Volunteer Fire Department Summerfest starts today. Live music, open car show and auction will take place Friday and Saturday. For more information, call 475-4064.
- Tunes and Tales happen on the Parkway in Gatlinburg every night, 5:30 to 10. Characters can be seen at different locations on the Parkway.
Saturday, July 1, 2006
- Basketfest 2006 starts today at Boyds Bear Country in Pigeon Forge. Teamed up with Longaberger, they will be demonstrating basket weaving. Participants will have the opportunity to make their own basket and purchase an exclusive Longaberger basket designed especially for this event.
- Randy Ogle will be at the Arrowcraft Shop in Gatlinburg, July 1-3rd, demonstrating his wood turning techniques as he makes furniture. This demonstration will be from 10a.m. to 4p.m. and it’s free.
- Frank Kalbing will demonstrate how to make his nature inspired jewelry. This demonstration will be at the Arrowcraft Shop on Saturday and Sunday from 10a.m. to 4p.m. and it’s free.
- Hiss, Rumble and Roar Story time at Anna Porter Public Library. Preschool level meets from 10:30 to 11:30. Elementary level meets from 11:30 to 12:30.
- Animal Olympics – Discover the fascinating abilities of animals in Cades Cove. The program starts at 2:30 next to the Cades Cove Visitor Center, halfway around the loop. It lasts 45 minutes.
- Bluegrass music will be playing at the Sevierville Chamber of Commerce Visitors Center in Kodak, from 1p.m. to 3p.m.
- Bottle Rockets will be in concert at the Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson “Shed”. Gates open at 6p.m. and the concert starts at 8p.m. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at any SMH-D location. For more information, call 865-977-1669.
July 2, 2006
- Free Red Baron Pizza and Coke will be given out in front of the Gatlinburg Convention Center from 2p.m. to 5p.m.
- “Stars and Stripes Forever” will be performed at the Wears Valley Methodist Church from 5p.m. to 8p.m. Free hot dogs and ice cream will be given out. Concert goers are encouraged to bring lawn chairs.
- Old Fashioned Sunday services will be at Gateway Christian Church at 9:30 a.m. at Dunn’s Market on Middle Creek Road. People are asked to wear old fashioned clothes.
- Tim Parton Family Singers will perform at the Walden Creek United Methodist Church at the 11 a.m. service.
If you would like to have your event considered for this listing, email the item to Chantalle@theheraldnewspapers.com.