This is not an article on William Shakespeare, nor will it be written in the style of the incredible Mr. Shakespeare. Although he was born in 1564 and lived until 1616 and his plays are still quite popular today, so I wish that I could write as well as he did. It was in Hamlet that the famous line was written; “To be or not to be: that is the question:”
You know what? That is still the question today, in so many ways. Will today be a good day or a bad one? Will you allow challenges to bring you down or will you see them as opportunities? Will the weather affect the kind of day you have? Will you be happier if you were able to put a thousand dollars in your bank account?
Someone once said; “If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.” In other words, you control you and no one else can bring you down or impact your mood, unless you give them permission. I am the eternal optimist.
I would go after Moby Dick in a row boat and take the tartar sauce with me.
In other words, I always see the glass as half full, rain is nothing more than liquid sunshine and every day above ground is a terrific day.
Surely you know someone who will brighten up a room ……… just by leaving. You don’t want to be that somebody.
Someone once asked me; “Do you ever wake up grouchy in the morning?” My response was; “No I let her sleep.”
In reality, I am a morning person. Five o’clock in the morning is my prime time and nine o’clock at night is my bed time.
My wife, on the other hand, does not like to speak until after she has been awake for at least an hour and she really gets energized about ten at night.
Does that mean we do not get along? Not at all, it does mean that I have learned to simply wave at her as I walk through the bedroom at seven o’clock, having already enjoyed my third cup of coffee.
By the way, she does not drink coffee and I blend my own beans, grind them and brew the coffee. This simply gives credence to the fact that opposites really do attract.
You may be wondering where I am going with this, well so am I. Actually, there is a method to my madness. First of all, in the great game of life, you make the rules. You decide what is best for you and what you really enjoy. As long as it is not illegal or immoral, it is alright.
About 18% of the people in America today allow the child that is inside them to come out and play. The other 82% keep the child bottled up or hidden inside.
Psychologists will tell you that the 18% that allow themselves to play and act childlike at times are called, normal.
Of course as adults we do have certain responsibilities and privileges. One of them is the right to vote and Election Day is next Tuesday, May 2nd.
Early voting continues through this Thursday. You will not keep anyone from getting elected by not voting. So, please exercise your right to vote.
Study the candidates and the positions that they are taking. Be sure that you believe they have the experience, integrity and sincere desire to serve and then PLEASE VOTE!
Men and women have given their lives over the centuries to protect the freedom that we have in the greatest country in the world. May God continue to bless America!
Dave Gorden is a member of the Speaker’s Hall of Fame. He is a past president of the National Speakers Association. He and his wife, Beverly, have been Foster Parents for 57 children over the past 15 years and they have a son who currently serves in the United States Army. You can reach Dave at Dave@davegorden.com